You can change the world… one seed at a time!
If you’re asking “what can I do?” then we’ve got plenty of suggestions:
- Learn to save heirloom seed from your own plants. Teach your children.
- Go to a farmer’s market and talk to the people selling produce. Ask them about the food you are buying.
- Plant a garden! Doesn’t have to be big. It could even be in pots on your balcony 5 stories up! I once grew tomatoes on my balcony in a kiddie swimming pool!
- Educate yourself about what you eat. Did you know that there are 3 types of genetically engineered coffee plants now?
- Teach your children to garden. Share time with them in the dirt.
- Go ORGANIC!
- Start a community garden in your neighborhood. Get to know your neighbors. Create community.
- Understand what GM crops are and what they are doing to our environment.
- Support local organic farmers.
- Learn what foods contain GM products. Over 50 countries require GM labeling, but not the USA. Product list to avoid them. If we don’t buy them, they will quit growing them.
- Attend a local Garden Club meeting.
- Adopt a honey bee hive. Bees are dying at an alarming rate. We need them and they need our help.
- Give the gift of seed. Give seed away as gifts at parties, weddings, birthdays, instead of biz cards, etc….
- Teach children about the importance of healthy organic food and why you buy/grow it.
- Start a garden at your church to feed the homeless. Better yet involve the homeless or less fortunate.
- Create seed bombs and use them on ugly vacant lots.
- Give vegetable plants or living flowers instead of cut flowers
- Ride your bike to the store or anywhere instead of the car.
- Join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).
- Be the change you want to see in others!
- Build a greenhouse.
- Tear out your lawn and plant a garden.
- Plant gardens in neighborhood public spaces.
- Plant wildflowers in roadway medians.
- Visit a farm and pick your own veggies or berries.
- Install a living roof.
- Go solar. Install solar panels, install a solar hot water heater and use the sun like the plants do!
- Learn to dry food or preserve food.
- Grow grains in your front yard instead of worthless grass that has to be mowed every week.
- Plant trees! Everywhere!
- Learn to graft fruit trees. Go to a scion exchange.
- Share your harvest with your neighbors or the retirement home down the street.
- Start a business growing herbs for eateries.
- Become a farmer!
- Support a young farmer. Buy their crops, give them moral support and let them know you value them.
The ideas are endless! The point is to start small, start now and change the world! Plant your seeds and watch the world become a greener, healthier place to live.
source: Sustainable Seed Company